jueves, 10 de diciembre de 2009

Facebook

Facebook has become the most popular site for social interaction. It began as a simple school network, but now it's overpopulated. Not only it has become slower, but it has also some privacy issues. That is why the managers of the web site have decided to implement a stronger privacy policy. Since Facebook became people's life, other people could know everything about you. That caused issues such as kidnappings, extortions and suings. Thanks to the new policies people will feel safer while posting in someone else's wall, uploading a photo or changing their status. We will now be able to control every single thing from it by implementing restrictions on who can see something and who cannot. It was about time that Facebook realized that it was a big issue and that they had to do something with it. Parents and even some us became aware that it was becoming more and more dangerous to publish things on this social network. I will now feel free to do more things. I believe that these new policies will not affect the way I use Facebook, first of all because I'm a huge fan of it and also because this new thing is actually improving it and not affecting it. It will take some time for people to get used to it but in the long run they will see the benefits in order to feel safer in this giant called Facebook.

Over the last few days, there has been some controversy on some issues related to Facebook. Some students have decided to post videos and quotes of staff members. The use of this social network hasn't been a problem, but now this situation seems to concern the school community. From my point of view, I don't really see a problem on doing it as long as it is not offensive. I don't think that we should go around asking every single person if they get offended if they post or say something about them. I also believe that the school should not get involved in this situation. I will understand if they do not want the school logo, name or photo to appear on the network but I don't think they should start suspending kids for doing this. I think that when we are at school, the directors have the power to decide what to do with it, but since this thing could be done outside school, they shouldn't really get involved. I am not saying that it is also right to be doing it. Obviously the best thing would be to stop doing in so that no more controversy comes up. We'll see what happens with this situation, but I truly hope that they don't take a negative attitude against students and the use of Facebook.

1 comentario: